Unique Student Identifier (USI)
The USI is a reference number made up of ten numbers and letters that:
- creates a secure online record of your recognised training and qualifications gained in Australia, from all training providers you undertake recognised training with
- will give you access to your training records and transcripts
- can be accessed online, anytime and anywhere
- is free and easy to create and
- stays with you for life
If you are a new or continuing student undertaking nationally recognised training, you need a USI in order to receive your qualification or statement of attainment. If you don’t have a USI you will not receive your qualification or statement of attainment.
Your USI will give you access to an online record of the training you have done since 1 January 2015. You will also be able to produce a comprehensive transcript of your training. This can be used when applying for a job, seeking a credit transfer or demonstrating pre-requisites when undertaking further training.
The Australian Information Commissioner will be the key regulator of the privacy and confidentiality aspects of the USI legislation.
Obtain your USI
It is free and easy to create your own USI online:
- Have at least one and preferably two forms of ID ready.
- Have contact details ready (e.g. email address, mobile number, address).
- Visit the website www.usi.gov.au
- Select ‘Student Entry’ and then select ‘Create a USI’ link and follow the steps.
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Follow the instruction to create your USI – it should only take a few minutes. Upon completion, the USI will be displayed on the screen.
- Write down your USI and keep it somewhere handy and safe.
For more information or to create your USI visit – usi.gov.au