SITHFAB021 Provide responsible service of alcohol.

In New South Wales, it’s a requirement of the NSW Liquor, Gaming and Racing- Justice (OLGR) that anyone working within a licensed alcohol-serving venue hold an OLGR approved RSA Competency Card. You will need your RSA if you are involved in the sale or service of alcohol in your employment or as a volunteer at a fundraising or community event.

This training meets the requirements of the national unit of competency SITHFAB021 Provide responsible service of alcohol.

Upon successful completion you will be issued with an interim certificate (valid for 90 days), which together with your identity documents will need to be presented to a Service NSW outlet such as the RMS to process your competency card.

Please ensure that prior to enrolling in this course you have read through our Student Handbook. If you have any questions, or require further information please contact our office on (02) 49841011 or email us at

This training is subsidised by the NSW Government for those who satisfy the eligibility criteria.

Nationally Recognised Training 

USI unique Student Identifier number

The USI will be available online and at no cost to you. The USI will stay with you for life and be recorded with any nationally recognised VET course that is undertaken from 1st January 2015.

Why do I need a USI?

You may need to provide evidence of your academic achievements, for example when applying for a job or to undertake further study.

Everyone undertaking nationally recognised VET courses will need to have a USI to receive their statement of attainment or qualification.

This unit describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to responsibly sell or serve alcohol.

Responsible practices must be undertaken wherever alcohol is sold or served, including where alcohol samples are served during on-site product tastings. This unit, therefore, applies to any workplace where alcohol is sold or served, including all types of hospitality venues, packaged liquor outlets and wineries, breweries and distilleries.

The unit applies to all levels of sales personnel involved in the sale, service and promotional service of alcohol in licensed premises. Those selling or serving alcohol may include food and beverage attendants; packaged liquor sales persons selling in person, over the phone or online; winery, brewery and distillery cellar door staff; and supplier sales representatives. The unit also applies to security staff who monitor customer behaviour and to the licensee who is ultimately responsible for responsible service of alcohol (RSA) management.

The unit incorporates the knowledge requirements, under state and territory liquor licensing law, for employees engaged in the sale or service of alcohol.

Certification requirements differ across states and territories. In some cases all people involved in the sale, service and promotional service of alcohol in licensed premises must be certified in this unit. This can include the licensee and security staff.

This unit covers the RSA skill and knowledge requirements common to all States and Territories. Some legislative requirements and knowledge will differ across borders. In some cases after completion of this unit, state and territory liquor authorities require candidates to complete a bridging course to address these specific differences.

Those developing training to support this unit must consult the relevant state or territory liquor licensing authority to determine any accreditation arrangements for courses, trainers and assessors.

In this course you will learn:

  • How to sell or serve alcohol responsibly.
  • To assist customers to drink within appropriate limits.
  • To assess alcohol affected customers and identify those to whom sale or service must be refused.
  • How to refuse to provide alcohol if required.

For more information, visit

This course will be classroom based in person at the College.

Upon completion of SITHFAB021 Provide responsible service of alcohol, you may go on to study a Certificate III in Hospitality or a Hospitality Skillset. 

  • Notepad and pen for taking notes
  • Lunch
  • Drink bottle